FEI Handbook and Leadership for a Democratic Society Information
LDS Program Formats
The Leadership for a Democratic Society program is offered in three formats. All three formats of the LDS program achieve the same learning outcomes and all provide executives with the same access to the faculty and various educational-support opportunities unique to the LDS program.
All three forms of LDS are equally rewarding; Executives and their host agencies need only select the format that would be most advantageous in terms of scheduling, workload, and learning preferences.
Residential Learning Program
The Residential Learning Program (RLP) is a four-week continuous, in-residence immersion program at the Federal Executive Institute campus in Charlottesville, VA. Participants engage in on-campus learning sessions, off-campus field experience activities and small-team learning environments. Participants engage in a variety of activities while attending sessions Monday through Friday for four weeks (including evening sessions) along with a full weekend of sessions over the first weekend of the program.
Applied Learning Program
The Applied Learning Program (ALP) is designed to allow participants to integrate classroom learning with workplace learning situations. The ALP challenges participants to apply the knowledge and skills gained through their coursework to their workplace during the intersession of the program, allowing them to develop a deeper understanding of leadership. ALP participants:
1) participate in an initial 80-hours of in-residence education at the Federal Executive Institute campus in Charlottesville, VA
2) return to work to apply knowledge, skills and tools in the first in-residence section
3) return for the second in-residence section later and complete a final 80-hours of the program in-residence at the Federal Executive Institute campus in Charlottesville, VA.
Blended Learning Program
The Blended Learning Program (BLP) is designed to meet the leadership development needs of Executives who are unable to be away from work or home for an extended period or who prefer to learn through distance education. The program meets all of the educational requirements of the four-week, in-residence program with graduates earning an identical certificate of mastery. BLP participants:
1) participate in 80-hours of in-residence education at the Federal Executive Institute campus in Charlottesville, VA
2) return to their home office where they complete 80-hours of online education over the following six-months
3) reconvene for two-days of activities (to include instruction and commencement) at the Federal Executive Institute campus in Charlottesville, VA.
Annual Schedule of LDS Programs
The Leadership for a Democratic Society program is offered multiple times per year. Please visit the Center for Leadership Development Schedule at a Glance for a list of all scheduled offerings.
Updated 29 June 2017